Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Pinterest Board Covers - Have You Created Covers For Your Boards?

bodymindmood
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Recently, I have spent time talking and writing about Pinterest Boards and the do's + don'ts when crafting those perfect boards to share your business and brand story on Pinterest.

Wait, there is still one piece to the Pinterest Board creation process that I haven't quite figured out yet...Board Covers.

Over time here on the PBC, I have been told that Board Covers are necessary when creating boards not just for the look but also for likes, follows, and saves that come with great-looking boards + board covers, but hang on, I have also been told that board covers aren't necessary, and it's up to the individual pinner if they add board covers or not and it won't make a difference when it comes to likes, follows, and saves.

What do you think? Do board covers matter? Would you save a pin, like a pin, or follow someone if you liked their board covers? 

@hellohomegirl,@ArtsyCraftery @mulberrycolors @edithe1407 @LIFEOFIYANA @HiltonHillFarms @beboldwithkatah @qoops1 @fuzzytuxedomedia @calmystudio @corriellington @BlackGirlRising we’re playing “tag” in order to hear from more members! I would love to hear your thoughts on this often-debated question in the PBC. 

5 Kudos
9 Replies
corriellington
Posts regularly

Hi @bodymindmood 😀

Thanks for the tag! t

Thinking as a 📌Pinner myself, I could see a benefit from having an aesthetically pleasing board cover. It might get me click on that Pinner’s board to find more inspiration and give more traffic to their other pins.

2 Kudos
beboldwithkatah
Loves to help

Thank you for tagging! So fun to chat about this. I personally am not into board covers. I like the way Pinterest sets up and shows a preview of photos that are already inside the board. I save and follow people who I enjoy seeing content from. I mainly post content from my own business/brand but do have secret boards where I post content I'd like to refer back to. For me personally I'm not concerned about board covers. And honestly have visited some pages that had them and was a little turned off by them. @JanaOMedia @virescentdesign what do you think?

3 Kudos
hellohomegirl
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @bodymindmood !

I do not create board covers. Like @beboldwithkatah , I like the collected look and the ability to preview the pins within a board. I try to place attractive photos at the beginning of my boards so that pretty pictures appear first.

However, I can definitely see a place for board covers! For instance, if I only pinned idea and/or video pins, I think covers would be better (since sometimes the still of videos sometimes aren't as pretty). That's just one of many instances where I think board covers would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing the other responses!

4 Kudos
qoops1
Just visiting

I have no clue. I post on Pinterest hoping my children's picture books attract traffic because of their relevance today- An increase in overt and covert thoughts, words, and acts against people who are different than themselves,

2 Kudos
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

@bodymindmood great discussion topic!  In the Pinterest marketing community, there are definitely people on both ends of the spectrum.  Here's my take -

Most of my clients are in the creative and design industries so branding and aesthetics are very important to them so they prefer to have curated board covers.  I'll either assign an existing pin from each board that has a cohesive look or I'll create a simple board cover in Canva and add it as a pin to that board to select as board cover.

**It's important to note that Pinterest users very rarely go to another user or brand's Pinterest profile to look at their boards.  Rather, they discover pins via search, their home feed, or related pins. Due to that reason, board covers are really a personal preference. 

If you do choose to create custom board covers, always treat them as a pin.  Make sure they link to somewhere, don't just upload an image.  If it's a board featuring your blog posts - link the board cover pin to your blog.  If it's a board that you are saving other peoples pins to, I will use the board URL as the destination. 

For example - I have a board titled "Social Media Marketing".  I created a pin that I could select as the board cover and linked it to my board URL.  See here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/735846026633655751/  

If someone comes across that pin and are interested in that topic, they will find a board full of relevant content when they click the pin. Even if they don't click through a pin directly to your website, they have now engaged with a pin on your account and can be shown more of your other content in their home feed.  So in my eyes - that (board cover) pin has served a purpose!

3 Kudos
fuzzytuxedomedia
Just visiting

Thanks for the tag @bodymindmood ! For many of my clients, we don't put in the effort to create board covers since, as @thehalcyonhive explained, Pinterest users usually don't look at someone's collection of boards. The engagement is most likely with the individual pin that shows up in the search results.

However, we have a few clients whose brands are heavily focused on aesthetics (fashion, design). Since we are only going to touch the board covers once, we do put in the effort to create them as individual pins with taggable products from the clients' catalog. It's no biggie in the long run and just a little extra set of pins to produce for the client's peace of mind as we begin their marketing journey on this platform.

In the event that a Pinterest user navigates to the board and then to that particular pin, the option to click through to the shop site is there. Either way, we move on from the boards to focus the remaining 99% of our efforts on the new pins 🙂 

------
Julie, Pinterest SEO Geek and Cat Mommy at Fuzzy Tuxedo Media

2 Kudos
ArtsyCraftery
Loves to help

I allow my pins to head my boards. I think it is the first pin that defaults. Sometimes I change which pin displays but I've never made a cover header for any boards.

2 Kudos
virescentdesign
Posts regularly

@beboldwithkatah I haven't used them yet, but I agree with you. I like to see a little preview of what's in the board!

2 Kudos
viinddi
Just visiting

30% mehr von Pinterest verstanden 😄

1 Kudo