Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Where to find Product ID - Shopify

yournnonce
Just visiting
Labels (5)

So I recently connected my shopify using the pinterest app. My catalog is present within Pinterest but I can't edit it or view it because it comes from Shopify. I'm waiting to be approved as a verified merchant (not sure if relevant.)

So the core of the issue. I want to tag existing pins with products from my catalog. When I click the tag product icon, it brings me to the pin builder and my options are: My pins, URL, Catalog. I'm under the impression I can connect products via catalog, but it asks for a product id. Where can I find a product id?

Shopify doesn't have a product id field, nor is there a place I can view the Pinterest product catalog on Shopify. 

I feel like I'm missing something. 

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 Kudo
52 Replies
PinterestRenato
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Hi @7chakrastore and welcome to the PBC!

I'm sorry you are facing all this trouble, but I can clarify a few things for you. Please, keep in mind that the app for Shopify is only available in the United States and Canada, so if you are not in one of these countries, you won't be able to connect to the app. For that reason, you should manually implement the Pinterest tag as you have already noticed. However, the proper guide for Shopify websites in this case is this one. It is imperative that you follow this article's instructions as this is the only official guideline specifically made for Shopify. Also, be aware that the Product id on Shopify websites is only available for those with access to the app, but it won't prevent your Pinterest tag from tracking the events.

Let me know if you need more assistance with anything else.

0 Kudos
7chakrastore
Just visiting

Thanks Renato, I am aware of this guide, in fact, I started my implementation by following it.

However, after implementing this guide, I wasn't able to get Product ID tracking, that's why I moved to Google Tag Manager implementation.

Yes, you are correct it doesn't prevent the Pinterest tag from tracking the events, but it prevents me from joining Verified Merchant Program (I have an Action needed warning in my account: Tag needs attention).

How can I reach someone from your support team who can guide me through the Google Tag Product Id Implementation?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
7chakrastore
Just visiting

This is your guide, which I need help with:
https://help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/google-tag-manager-and-pinterest-tag

More specifically, can I get someone to help me understand/break down into steps how to do the following:

"In order for this to work, you'll also need to create a data layer variable called "items" on any page you want to set the product IDs and product categories. You can set all of them here:"

0 Kudos
7chakrastore
Just visiting
0 Kudos
PinterestRenato
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Hi @7chakrastore

Unfortunately, the VMP program is currently available only to US merchants. However, if you still want to implement the product id on your Pinterest tag events, your best bet is to reach out to the Shopify support team or to a web developer so they can guide you through the technicalities. Also, please, keep an eye out as the Verified Merchant Program continues to evolve and expand over time. Thanks for coming to the PBC and let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

0 Kudos
7chakrastore
Just visiting

Thanks Renato, it looks like this will remain unresolved.
I don't really see what is the relationship between the Shopify support team and unclear documentation, which was released by Pinterest.

2 Kudos
bargains2shop
Just visiting

I have a similar issue as above and a US merchant. Not sure what needs to be done ? Please help.

1 Kudo
PinterestRenato
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Hi @bargains2shop,

I'm not sure I understand the issue you are facing exactly, but let me try to assist you. In this article, you can see how to link your Shopify and Pinterest accounts, and this will automatically implement your Pinterest tag with everything that is necessary, including the product id. But please, know that if you have previously tried to manually implement anything, you'll need to remove it. Once the Pinterest tag is automatically implemented, you can check the events on your website using the Pinterest tag helper extension for Chrome. I'm not sure if this covers the issue you're facing, but feel free to provide me more details. I'll help with anything I can. 😉

0 Kudos
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bargains2shop, Did @PinterestRenato help answer your question? If so, please mark it as an accepted solution so other community members can be helped by it as well. 🙂 

0 Kudos
ultrachicchateau

Hi Brad, 

We still seem to be experiencing issues with this despite the fact that Shopify is connected to Pinterest. Is there any further information you can provide as to why the overall health of our profile is listed as UNHEALTHY?

0 Kudos