Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Too big of a tent?

theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

My feed https://www.pinterest.com/theburntsunsetnovel/  focuses on dystopian apocalyptic fantasy novels. This includes my novels in one board, but I also pay homage to others like Percy Jackson, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Harry Potter, etc. in other boards. Additionally, I draw characters and write poetry, featuring these on other boards but all under the same profile. My lead character in my novels happens to be a singer at the end of the world, so conceptually my profile and boards make sense. But... I'm wondering does anybody else worry about having too big of a tent? It's great that boards can divide up content but I'm under the impression that the crowd that follows me for my apocalyptic humor is not the same crowd interested in my fantasy art work nor is it the same crowd that enjoys my lyrics. I understand that people can follow a single board instead of a user, but I wonder if such a broad spectrum of pins (even if clearly divided between boards) turns off followers.

thanks,

Chris

1 Kudo
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PinterestJanice
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Interesting question, from a purely personal perspective as a creator myself, I would think the more focused you are the easier you'll be able to build a core base. That's not to say there isn't room for your other work. Maybe have a board that allows people to get to know you, as a person, a little better then they'll know your other interests and those boards won't seem as "random" but demonstrate your diversity. 

This is 100% a valid concern and depending on the type of content you're creating it could be something you would need to have separate channels for. On Pinterest though, I think there is a little more latitude in having it under one account. 

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
3 Replies
PinterestJanice
Pinterest Alum
Pinterest Alum

Interesting question, from a purely personal perspective as a creator myself, I would think the more focused you are the easier you'll be able to build a core base. That's not to say there isn't room for your other work. Maybe have a board that allows people to get to know you, as a person, a little better then they'll know your other interests and those boards won't seem as "random" but demonstrate your diversity. 

This is 100% a valid concern and depending on the type of content you're creating it could be something you would need to have separate channels for. On Pinterest though, I think there is a little more latitude in having it under one account. 

3 Kudos
theburntsunsetnovel
Loves to help

@PinterestJanice thank you for your thoughts. I going to focus less on hard dystopian, apocalyptic, sci-fi, and fantasy themes for now and focus on young adult situations that draw from those genres. The strategy of concentrating on a few boards and pinning a little less overall has paid off in the last couple of days driving up my audience. 

0 Kudos
tailwind
Loves to help

This is a great question - how do I attract the "right" audience for my content? I think in some cases, it's obvious that you'd need either multiple accounts or, in the case where you are saving content for personal use on a business account, you'd set those Boards to private. 

For example (my own), if I'm mainly concerned with the distribution of my marketing-focused content, I'm not going to save recipe Pins to any of my public Boards. I've tried that on an account and it just brings in a bunch of people who don't care about my important marketing content. Rather, I save to my secret Boards for my own use.

In your case, there is likely a LOT of overlap of interest where your content is concerned. It doesn't seem like a stretch at all to me for you to have it all on one account with very well-named Boards. ~ Alisa

3 Kudos