Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Measuring Pinterest success

humankinetics
Just visiting
Labels (1)

Curious to know what kpi's people use when measuring their success/impact on Pinterest: total number of engagements, impressions, closeups, clicks, saves, the number of visitors Pinterest sends to your website, conversions to sales, or something else? We have been measuring engagement rates, impressions, clicks, and saves and things seem to remain fairly constant but I'm looking to try and improve those numbers and wonder how to develop "best practices

3 Kudos
9 Replies
sjdesignscc
Just visiting

Personally, I do not look at the impressions because it goes up and down.  I look to see how the audience is involved whether it is saving, trying a pin, or clicking on the website. My impressions would be high but there was no activity from the audience. A lot of times I will not have a high impression rate but have many clicks or saves. Hope this makes sense.

3 Kudos
humankinetics
Just visiting

@sjdesignscc  -- it makes total sense. Clicks and saves seem to be the metric worth keeping track of. I'm constantly surprised how one pin can perform so well and something similar won't do well at all. Sure keeps me guessing! 

3 Kudos
sjdesignscc
Just visiting

@humankinetics -- very true. I had one pin of a mock-up gift wrap that did very well. It surprised me how well it did. Mind you I do not pay advertisement on Pinterest. Haven't gone full business mode just yet.  

2 Kudos
fortyyoung
Just visiting

I see this as well. I feel like there's so many factors. When the pin was put up, if theres lots of content just like it at that time, if people are logged in.

1 Kudo
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great topic to start, @humankinetics! Love the conversation happening here. Ultimately, the more engagement a Pin receives, the higher it appears in the feed and in search results so that's a good thing to keep in mind. 😉

3 Kudos
vibeva
Just visiting

I used to look at impressions, but now I look at engagement more than anything ~ but I am still relatively new to online marketing so I don't know tons yet but I do know I used to be excited if I had 80,000 impressions, not realizing that no one was actually engaging in the pin or clicking on the link. I'd rather have 500 Impressions and some engagement and clicks over 80,000 impressions with no engagement or clicks. 

4 Kudos
healthyambitionsteam
Loves to help

I only care about link clicks and saves. The impressions go up and down pretty drastically for me, but getting those click-through are what really matters 🙂

2 Kudos
elvchen
Just visiting

That is always so individual depending on my goal for the campaign.
I am a little data nerd and love to collect all kinds of info which is why I also use Google Analytics rather than Pinterest Analytics to evaluate my campaigns IF I measure thinks like conversion or want to do A/B testing. Maybe this blogpost is also interesting for you. 

2 Kudos
elvchen
Just visiting

Totally! All the "soft metrics" that Pinterest Analytics provides are nice and, depending on your campaign goal, can be interesting but clicks are also my main concern as they otherwise stay just on the platform. I use UTM tags for my Pinterest links so I can evaluate everything in my Google Analytics better. Have you heard of them?

1 Kudo