Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Interesting observation regarding Pin Source...

thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Here is an account I was struggling with in December (split by source). I thought it was interesting... 

You can see she saw a spike when I optimized her account and got started in October.  We continued to see slow and steady growth until December when the pins I created dropped.  However, pins that others created & saved still continued to get traction.  Weird.   *Note - During these months, I've only created fresh pins.  Most have been scheduled through Tailwind and some published manually on Pinterest (Video and product-tagged pins)

On the plus side, at the very end of December, it looks like it's starting to look up again.

Just curious as to what others are seeing when they split by source.  

You can see in October when I optimized and started on her account, then in December was when the pins I was creating took a dive.You can see in October when I optimized and started on her account, then in December was when the pins I was creating took a dive.Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 7.17.53 AM.png

2 Kudos
6 Replies
modernfiftytv
Just visiting

I think it's due to a Pinterest update or spam sweep that happened on December 14. It happened to me too. 

1 Kudo
PinterestGabby
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you both for sharing your experiences and thoughts with the community!

0 Kudos
alisammeredith
Loves to help

I was interested in this as well, @thehalcyonhive Here are some accounts I have access to. The one that is getting a sizable amount of action (shows only 30 days compared to others' 90 but the trend holds) from Other Pins is the one that is not (yet) creating much content on the platform and is in fact relying almost exclusively on product Pins from their catalog. The rest are dutifully making Idea and other Pins 🙂 Not that this explains your experience, but it's interesting to look at. Has your account changed since you posted?

I have a theory that Pinterest prioritizes showing a creator's version of the Pins, but when there aren't enough of those originals to occupy the top spots, you'll see Other Pins start to take those spots (when I think technically they should be aggregated with Your Pins- I'll never understand the aggregation in practice). This tells me they need to be making more content. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.28.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.27.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.26.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.25.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.30.45 AM.png

1 Kudo
alisammeredith
Loves to help

Oh, and I was curious to see whether the share of engagements would be as high as the share of impressions was for Other Pins for that one account. "Your Pins" got a bit less than 10% of the total impressions but 25% of the total engagement. Which I wouldn't have expected after looking at your screenshots.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.37.54 AM.png

1 Kudo
thehalcyonhive
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Thank you for your insight and examples @alisammeredith!

I'm not longer on that account so unfortunately I can't see how their numbers look for the rest of 2021. But what you're saying makes sense though and aligns with Pinterest's best practice of creating fresh content. 

1 Kudo
alisammeredith
Loves to help

Thanks for prompting me to go down that rabbit hole, @thehalcyonhive 

1 Kudo