Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Content Best Practices: Creation & Curation

typicallytopical
Loves to help

Hey all,

Hoping someone can shed a little light on what Pinterest's best practices are when it comes to content creation and curation.

I've read conflicting information: one post will say to pin 90% of your own content, and only 10% of others people's, but others will say to pin a good mix (i.e. 60% own content, 40% others) so you don't look spammy (the kind where you look at a board and it's the same blog post but just different pins all the time) and provide a better experience for anyone who comes across your account. 

Which method is best? Is there any harm in re-pinning other people's content as long as you're still actively pinning fresh, original content of your own?

Thanks!

@PinterestGabby @PinterestJanice 

4 Kudos
19 Replies
owlbbaking
Loves to help

Thanks for the tag, @PinterestGabby 

Hi @typicallytopical This is a really great question and I wonder about it quite a bit myself! I currently pin about 30% my own and 70% other's content. I pin about 20x a day and don't have enough of my own pins yet to fill up 80-90%, but that's the goal I'm aiming for on my account. 

I think of it this way: at the end of the day, you want users to click on your pin to visit your site and give you traffic. Pinning other people's content is nice, but it doesn't benefit your website in any way. IN THEORY, you'd want to fill up your pin schedule with only the pins that you created for your site.

But, there's always more to the story!

In reality, it takes A LOT of your own pins to be able to properly cycle through them to be able to pin say, 15-20x a day without having that 'spammy' repeat of your same posts being shown to your audience. Unless you have hundreds of articles/blog posts, and truly different pins for each post, I would say to continue to balance out your content & other pins as best you can. 

The other thing to consider is, when you pin other people's pins, you get to see analytics on those too. This can lend insight into the type of content your audience is interested in and that can be valuable to you. For instance, I'm a recipe blogger and see that a pin I shared (not mine) for Blueberry Pie is heating up. I don't have a recipe for Blueberry Pie on my blog so maybe that's a cue that a recipe like that would do well for me. 

TL:DR - Always prioritize your content as much as possible, but you need enough pins (like, a lot) to not SPAM your audience. Pinning a balance of both your pins and other people's pins is a good idea. I wouldn't pay much attention to what ratios others say. You do you! You know what's best for your content and audience. 

I hope that helps!! 

5 Kudos
hostesstori
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hi @typicallytopical , I only Pin other people's content when I am using Pinterest as a user (ie I want to save something for myself). When using to drive traffic to my blogs/websites I only Pin my own content. Pinning someone else's will never drive traffic to my own site. Users never go to your profile look at your Pins and think "wow, she only Pins her own stuff." Users discover your content in their feed and searches. Also, Pinterest does not care if you're Pinning fresh content from your own site or someone else's, just that you are doing it. I've never bought into the ration thing and have been very successful on Pinterest. Hope that helps!

4 Kudos
typicallytopical
Loves to help

@owlbbaking Awesome! Thank you for your in-depth reply. I've started to not listen to external communities as much. Sometimes one person sees a problem and then it causes a mass hysteria! LOL. I'm also aiming for that 80% original content goal too, but like you said, you need a LOT of blog posts to do that without looking spammy. Hopefully in the near future! 🙂

2 Kudos
simplepinmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

I'm curious why you would be pinning more of other people's pins instead of your own? Doing 80% yours 20% others? @foodiehomechef 

0 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@simplepinmedia Hi there, I started doing that about a year & a half ago (or more) after receiving info from Pinterest or Tailwind (can't remember which) that... that was the best way to go & I've continued that to this day.

1 Kudo
simplepinmedia
Pinterest Pioneer
Pinterest Pioneer

Hey @hostesstori good to see you! And I agree with ratios as well. Something we have never done, maybe mentioned a few times to give a guide but it's all about the fresh content. 

2 Kudos
realsouthamerica
Just visiting

@typicallytopical anytime I wish I could give you an exact answer but I alas I cannot - Yes do not listen to outside community I really wish that wasn't the case because I really believe everyone has something important to say but sometimes what I read on blogs et al about "How To Do Pinterest" is just well it makes no sense and or is wrong. I never look for quick and easy but I do look for solid and logical.

L.

1 Kudo
patsww
Just visiting

I am really getting confused; need help from the best Pinterest practices.

Some say you pin your pin to 10 boards (Tailwind says)

Others say max 5 boards.

I took training, she said at the most 2-3 boards you can pin your pin.

Yesterday I attended a conference and the speaker said only one board you should pin your pin. 

I am so confused. Please guide me with the best practices. 

Thanks

<>Sue

0 Kudos
pinterestmarketingexpert
Jack-of-all-trades

Hello @typicallytopical I see a lot of people have jumped in to help you and hopefully you can decipher the best strategy moving forward. 

This screenshot is from Pinterest. Does this help?

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 3.54.06 PM.png

0 Kudos
patsww
Just visiting

Tailwind says you pin your pin to 10 boards. Online training gave me numbers like 5, 2-3, and even just 1 board to pin. Now I am confused.

I also reshared other people's content on 9-10 boards at a time; is it a good practice or bad?

0 Kudos