Pinterest Predicts is live!
See what's in store for 2024 in our Trend Forecast report.

Board + Section Strategy

wildlifeelathome
Posts regularly
Labels (5)

Hey! How have you organized your boards and sections? And what helped you come to that sort of organization?

Other insightful questions for you, if you're willing.. 😎

I'm currently unaware of Pinterest's preference of what titles/topics should be a board vs a section, so any tips are welcome! I understand everything needs to use powerful keywords strategically, but is there a strategy to organizing it all? Better to have more boards or more sections? If it's better to keep more topics separated, then what are the big takeaway advantages to sections? When do you find it necessary to use boards with sections vs breaking those sections out to boards? Do you mix the strategy: some just boards and pins within vs. other boards with many sections? 

These are just questions to brainstorm and ponder. I'm simply interested in what you have decided to do (and why)!

6 Kudos
30 Replies
jeswes
Posts regularly

I think it’s helpful to viewers who are looking for a specific thing to have everything organized into sub-boards. But It’s much easier to organize when you’re getting started on a new account.

For me, it was implemented years after I joined and by then I was already thousands of pins deep. And the very thought of having to organize them was a big huge NOPE!

I did make sub-boards for Patterns and Holidays- mostly for my own benefit, so when I am actually looking for something I can actually find it. But the Wedding board, forget it! Me and interested viewers will have to deal with that disorganized mess! If someone wants a cake idea, good luck to them! 🤣

Also when I am on a pinning spree, I actually hate having to do the extra click and scroll to look for the sub-board. Sometimes my pins in “Patterns” just gets saved to the general board instead of a sub-section. If I am ever feeling up to it, I might organize them into where they belong. But I also say that about the junk in my spare room. 

2 Kudos
ModestHut
Just visiting

Wow, you girls are amazing!! I sell home decor and furniture products and have been thinking about the exact same questions.  I even got on a call w/ a marketing strategist from Pinterest today but soon realized she somehow didn't know anything about how to grow your brand unless she got paid.  If anyone else is in the same retail/e-commerce area that I'm in or @foodiehomechef (your an inspiration to me). I have 168k followers on Instagram but I've already made more sales from Pinterest within a week than I have from 3 months on instagram.  If anyone needs help or free promo on insta let me know @ModestHut .  @wildlifeelathome Thanks for asking what everyone else was thinking!

http://modesthut.com 

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

Hi there @ModestHut welcome to the community & nice to meet you 😊   Thank you so much for your kind compliment, it's most appreciated!

I gave up on Instagram a couple of years ago. It was way too much work & I didn't seem to be getting anywhere... so I just left my account sitting there (just in case). Pinterest has always been my best Social Media tool & I get more traffic from Pinterest than all my other social media accounts combined times 6!

1 Kudo
ModestHut
Just visiting

@foodiehomechef thank you for the kind words and for some hope for pinterest.  If you ever have time, bc i'm sure ur busy like me running ur own business, having issues, marketing, trying to save money and still HAVE A LIFE lol, possibly talk w/ me about some  strategies on pinterest?   I've been trying to find someone who's smart and ambitious so if you have the time just let me know.  I'm @ModestHut on every social platform you can think of:) 

ModestH_mobile.png

2 Kudos
wildlifeelathome
Posts regularly

@jeswes 'A big huge NOPE!' 😆 I like that! Yes, I was years in it a few years too, when sections were added. I think I've found, similar to you, that I opted for some sections to simply help myself out rather than my audience! Originally, my sections covered more broad concepts, but now I use my curated repins for client projects too - so I keep some boards organized to help my efficiency in the same. 

And I totally understand on those extra clicks rather than using the lovely '+' button to save many things to one board! Thankfully @foodiehomechef has inspired me to create designated time to then move them to my sections! But you know, sometimes we just need to know ourselves and simply roll with the mess @jeswes - I certainly get that too 😉 

2 Kudos
wildlifeelathome
Posts regularly

What a good point you make, @ModestHut - I, too, have tried looking for answers elsewhere but finally I found this community of fellow Pinterest-lovers and wah-lah: answers I can run with! So, I'm glad you're here 🙂 

I'll also add here that I'm in awe of your instagram account (and holy cow 168k followers - how did you do that?!). But am so impressed to know you've already had better luck on Pinterest (followed you by the way 😉). This story of yours is so interesting to me because we revolve around the same industry. I'm a designer, but am having quite the trouble growing awareness around the business. So, I'd love to stay in touch in some way, perhaps collaborate or simply become friends 🙂 

1 Kudo
wildlifeelathome
Posts regularly

Simone @foodiehomechef - I had to chime in here! Its amazing to know that Pinterest works SO much better for you than other platforms. As I, too, would love having reason to utilize Pinterest as my number one place (because lets face it...its my super secret big dream). I'd love to know of any insights or best tips you've found through your journey. Whether in this thread, a brand new one or through a message! 

*crossing fingers*

2 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@ModestHut   Feel free to post whatever questions you have about strategies here at PBC & tag me & PinterestGabby & PinterestJanice in the posts. I'll do my best to help you in a timely fashion & I'm sure the 2 managers will as well 🙂

0 Kudos
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@wildlifeelathome   Saving this post of yours Ash, regarding best tips/insights, to answer over the weekend when I have a bit more time 😊

1 Kudo
foodiehomechef
Jack-of-all-trades

@wildlifeelathome @ModestHut   After giving this some thought I don't really have too many insights or tips for the both of you. The reason is... is that my niche is so much different than yours, being in the Food lane I'm not sure that my tips would translate well for your niche.

There is one tip I have that may work for you & that is to always be about 2 to 2 1/2 months ahead of the game when you're planning your pinning schedule. For instance I start pinning items for Halloween in mid-August & generally stop by the first week in October. Why? Because it takes time for your pins to show up in search & also people start planning their holidays ahead of time & that procedure give them time to find your pins & to shop if need be.

Also a lot of folks use (like me) Tailwind to schedule their pins weeks in advance. If you're not on Tailwind you should give it a try... it saves you soooo much time! Their a small learning curve at the beginning, but they have videos to help you. Here's a free 30 day trial for you & after the trial, if you sign up you'll get a $15.00 credit: https://www.tailwindapp.com/i/foodiehomechef

Another suggestion is to utilize your other Social Media platforms to advertise links to your pins on Pinterest.

I use the Milo Tree pop-up at my site to add to my Pinterest followers & for Facebook & adding to your email list too. Before using Milo Tree I used to get about 1 to 3 followers a day. Since starting Milo Tree about 4 months ago, I'm now up to 9 to 15 per day. You can see the pop-up at my site: https://foodiehomechef.com - Here's my referral link for you to try it out free for 30 days: https://milotree.com/?rfsn=4175666.e333a4

Anything further... what I'd rather do is have you just ask questions here at PBC & if I have the answer I'll chime in!

0 Kudos